Saturday, January 16, 2010

Back to Blonde

I'm naturally blonde, but for the past two years have been dyeing my hair brunette. My dad calls it "artificial intelligence"; I simply call it an improvement. Surprisingly I've noticed that I'm treated differently with brown hair. (Not surprising that I've noticed, surprising that I've had different treatment, just to clarify.) When I make ditsy mistakes as a brunette, instead of laughing alongside my embarrassed laughter, I'm met with skeptical glances and the occasional check on the forehead for a high temperature.

But upgraded intelligence or not, the following occurred since my hair has been made brown:

I placed a phone call to my insurance company and heard the automated voice read its instructions:
"Press 1 if you are calling about what your insurance covers.
Press 2 if you would like this information sent to you in a text message.
Press 3 if you would like to speak to a customer service representative."

I pressed 3, but the voice continued:
"Press 4 for . . ."
I pressed 3 again.
The voice spoke again: "Are you still there?"
Yes, I'm still here! Why isn't this working!?
The call ended.

I tried again. I pressed the correct numbers and the call still ended.

Frustrated, I called for the third time. Half-way through the instructional message it occurred to me that pressing the numbers on my office phone, while listening to the voice on my cell phone, was perhaps the reason it wasn't working.

Lucky for me, there were no laughing witnesses.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

i am laughing out loud. love it!

Kendra said...

Me too. :)
Laughing, that is. Totally something I have done, and I'm not even an artificial brunette!

Karissa said...

ha ha ha! That's awesome. I'm laughing outloud too. :)

Ginelle said...

i can just picture that and how frustrating it was!! hilarious.