Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm Not A Jock

It seems that the only topic of watercooler, lunchroom and bathroom conversation is always about the latest sports news. Having nothing to offer, I mutter artsy things under my breath, and wish away (gasp!) the Boilermakers and Pacers and every team that dominates the "exciting" news. I could die.

Today was especially annoying. The first ten minutes of my workday were spent overhearing a conversation about the big game this weekend. (I don't even know the team, sport or outcome for those who care.) Over lunch I counted the seconds before someone in the room mentioned a team, play or other sports-related boringness. It took 17 seconds. And lasted 1,085 more.

After work I decided to partake in my own "sport" and forget the misery of the day. I donned my Dordt sweatshirt. Black with bold gold letters: D-O-R-D-T. And I ran. Well, walked and ran a few feet to say I went on a run. Near the end of my run I met another "runner" on the sidewalk. We both stopped to take a breath.

"Purdue is doing well!" he grinned, thinking he had something in common with me.
"Huh?" I gasped (shortness of breath from running) and looked confused.
He pointed to my shirt. "Oh! I thought... you're wearing Purdue colors...what does that spell? D-O-R- ..?"
I didn't know whether to be appalled that he seemed to be making a joke of my alma mater, or if he thought I was actually into sports at Purdue. I decided to jog off. It was more like a limp: I'm not a jock.

2 comments:

Jihad Hernandez said...

You will kill me. I can count on one hand the number of coworkes that actually care about sports.

Karissa said...

I FEEL your pain, Lauralee. Our breakroom talks about everything from high school and Dordt to NCAA and professional sports. And the fact that I know that Dordt isn't NCAA kills me.