Writing a new blog post has been plagueing me like a too-soon homework deadline. Ever since I deleted posts that were deemed "unprofessional" in the "unprofessional, could be fired because of content" sense, I've been searching for something to write about. I actually forwarded the deleted posts to my e-mail so that I could continue to bask in the well-written entries and in my faithful reader's comments. (Thank you)
I have been searching for quality blog subject matter all this time. I composed one on the way to work. It was going to be about me becoming a standup comedian. I would tell jokes about cars and Dordt and driving and being Canadian and being the only one in Indiana to have road rage. I tested the road rage joke on some of my coworkers. It was ill-received, so I decided against it. The career of making people laugh might need to include less cynicism and more American jokes. How ironic.
I went to Borders bookstore today. I was actually on a "necessities only" shopping trip, but ended up there just the same. I asked for books in other languages. The hired professional led me to the "Books in Other Languages" section. It included three shelves of Shakespeare CliffNotes. That, to me, is knee-slapping hilarious.
And so I continue to search for appropriate content to write. I googled my name and this came up first. I figure it's just good to be cautious and non-offensive. Sorry North America.
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Well, my friend, storytelling and comedy don't ever seem far apart. Even a crappy event responded to with an unexpected perspective (i.e. your "Just Shoot me" post) can result in giggles or a wry smile. And your personality is going to come out in your writing too, and you're not boring. There are volumes that could be written listing how unboring you are. But reading those would be boring.
Gracias por the post. I always enjoy reading what you write.Oh, and in case future employers are googling your name, you can always adopt a pseudonym. Preferably an offensive one, utilizing the word "jihad".
p.s. if you ever neat a deal on an iFruit computer, please order through me and like an indian man at a flea market, I can get you a discount.
Oh, and I was racist today. There was an Indian gentleman who showed up with a problem with his macbook at the genius bar. It needed a new hard drive, and the computer was no longer under warranty. He was quite pleasant and soft-spoken, unlike the majority of customers I have experienced with his ethnicity. I talked to my manager and go permission to cover the cost of the repair. So he paid nothing because I was so pleased that he was not pushy.
Sometimes it pays to be nice.
That IS hilarious, actually.
I recently discovered that some people in the West Midlands (of England) have a dialect that has barely changed since Shakespeare's day. Still use "thee" and "thy" and all that. My friend from the area said everyone at his school aced the exams on Shakespeare, as there was barely a language barrier! They don't believe in newfangled words around there, that's for sure.
Oh , and also hiya - I followed a link from your sister's Facebook page. Hope you don't mind!
- Anne
Post a Comment