"Mommy, look at that pretty lady! Mommy, look at that pretty lady!"
And although that may seem a little annoying to hear over and over, it's great when it's being directed at you! Well, I thought so anyway. The mommy's comment bursted my blushing bubble.
"That's Marilyn Monroe, Honey."
Yup, there's a cardboard cut-out of Marilyn standing next to the front desk where I now sit unprettily. She's looking luscious and beautiful in a satiny, tight-fitted red dress. I guess my khakis and polo shirt, frizzy hair and pimpled t-zone aren't especially appealing to a 4 year-old boy.
I'm sitting at the art center's front desk for the last time in the forseeable future. I'll come in for my last day tomorrow morning to say some goodbyes, give a few hugs and supply my e-mail address to any takers. (I'm also interested to hear the compliments that are frequently dished-out in farewells however far from the truth they may be.)
My time here has been longer than first expected. I started as a lowly intern in January and have since risen to ArtSplash Coordinator's Assistant at 3/4 time. I'm not going to miss the politics, but I will miss all the people that connect the two. It's a strange thing to be in this art/working world. I dislike it. I love it.
Now if only I could be Marilyn. That'd solve a few problems.
Thursday, September 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Congrats on being done!! I hope it was all worth it. When do you take off for Germany? Miss you...
Lauralee, you are hilarious. I love your writing. How did I not know that you are amazing at the keyboard (and both, at that). I cannot WAIT to see you in less than two months. I tried to save money today by not eating out and not buying a care package (Positive Airwaves is raising money during parents' weekend), but then I "ended up" at the Dordt bookstore and bought FIVE books and a little stuffed Dordt racoon for Ava. I figure, I missed her birthday, but I can come bearing gifts at Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment