If you've never traveled outside the country, or even your own city block, for that matter, I recommend it. There is so much to see out there including more history than you ever cared to know existed. It never gets old!
Ok, technically it does get older, but while history stays history, the new stuff that keeps happening, in 20 years, will also be labeled historic and, therefore, perhaps, hopefully! a tourist destination, too. Or at least a 'point of interest' on a hostel's black and white photocopied brochure-- tucked and wrinkled, behind the glossy full-color brochures display of the more popular places. It could be something as phenomenal as the Great Wall or as lame as Wall Drug. Either way, it's historic and therefore awesome.
But history has never been more exciting than in Europe. I'm a little biased though, since my ancestry can be directly linked to my dad being born there. (Thanks, Dad!) But more specific than loving all of Europe I most like the tiny fist of a country some call Holland and the rest call the Netherlands. Fun Fact: it's the 135th largest country (out of 231) in the world. That means, on a test, it would have scored 58%. {raises eyebrows}
I don't know if I can fully explain the awesomeness of the Netherlands to you who have yet to visit this wondrous place. Imagine blue clouded skies, bright green fields, and a windmill-speckled background with blond-headed rosy cheeked families bicycling together. Top that off with a carb-based diet of potatoes for supper and bread with chocolate sprinkles for breakfast and I'm nearly in heaven.
Sadly most of the world is unaware of this perfectly picturesque side of the Netherlands. On more than one occasion when I've said I'm Dutch (and once it's clarified that it's not Dutchland or Denmark) the response is: "Oh, Amsterdam! Pot and prostitutes and the Red Light District. Gotta love that!"
Riiiiight. Like I'd be proud to say I'm from 'Dutchland' if that's what I had to brag about.
But even if you never make it to Holland, there are touches of the place here in America: Pella, IA or Holland, Michigan for example. These quaint towns [modestly] boast of tulip festivals and windmills and Dutch bakeries (complete with Dutch delft blue tiling and 'Welkom' on the door).
Even closer to home though is the CVS on the corner of my Indianapolis city block. And I have to wonder what went on in their marketing meeting.
The building has large glass windows facing the street that are plastered with pictures of attractive smiling people, excited to have just purchased cough syrup and toothpaste. Behind the photos in each window is a bright red-papered backdrop. Red neon lights nicely frame the windows to complete the look.
Hmmm, women in red windows with bright red lights ... Yeeeeaaaah. Wonder if anyone in that marketing group has ever visited Amsterdam's most-known-about tourist destination. Just bringin' Europe to America, I guess. Another highlighted 'point of interest' perhaps?
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
So, you're saying you live in the Red Light District? Be careful when you're decorating for Christmas.
We've seen Dutch here, too. Actually, right next door to us there is a store with a cut out of "Dutch Lady". It's a brand for milk, I believe. Or juice. I don't know, since, uhm, milk's not refrigerated. I'm going to blog about that sometime. :)
That story took a crazy twist I wasn't expecting!
Lynden also has windmills. We will take you there in 2 weeks!
Post a Comment