There are a lot of things I fear (yes, including fear itself), and an equal number of things that will make me blush beyond reason. Yesterday one of my plethora of fears came true: I was in the exact same place and time as someone wearing the exact same dress as I. I blushed to match my dress which was about the only difference I could tell between her and me.
It's a cute outfit: a magenta, black and cream print dress with an empire waist (meaning it's flattering for women who carry a bit of extra weight in the tummy)that I wear with black tights (adopting the now-popular-again 1980's look) and gold sandals. It's a trendy look-- and I like it.
What I don't like, however, is being seen wearing the exact same dress as someone else. I had been calmly looking through hangers of updated fashion at the mall yesterday, when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. However, there was no mirror, just another brunette wearing the Target dress I currently had on.
It's one thing to see someone wearing "my" clothes; it's a whole other game when you're wearing it then, too. And it wasn't that she seemed to pull off the look better-- because we were about even. But what reeeaallly got to me was when this woman turned sideways, it was clear then that she was about 8 1/2 months pregnant.
Let me clarify here, that while I love empire waisted clothing, I do not ever, ever, EVER buy maternity empire things. It's just not done. I've tried them on by [blushing] mistake, yes, but purchased? Not in twenty-five years.
So pregnant women, please, please, PLEASE: save my embarrassment and only wear maternity-labeled clothing. I can only fake the pregnant belly for so long. . .
Monday, August 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
If it makes you feel any better I had pretty much the same experience a couple of months ago. I also blushed quite a bit!
I accidentally bought a maternity shirt from Target once. You know the place where women's clothes blend into maternity? Yeah. Apparently I don't.
But it makes for a good story!
Gold shoes and black tights are back in? You'll have to send a picture. I'm convinced you looked great, I've never seen you otherwise, but the mental image I'm getting, well, it's not working.
Sorry about the empire waste thing.
Post a Comment