I'm back in the "available" category for dating and it's not going well. First tip: take off the silver, shiny ring. Second tip: don't mention the 'w' word when you come across available bachelors.
I went to Staples on a task for my sister, the bride-to-be. A cute guy greeted me at the door. (!!!)
"WelcometoStaplesOfficeSupplieswhereyourofficeneedsmatter!HowcanIhelpyoutoday?" (He spoke quickly, nervous, may I suggest, by my good looks.)
"Hi there! I'm looking for wedding invitations."
"Uh, Cindycanhelpyouwiththat. CINDY!" (I noticed a hint of disappointment flicker across his face. His eyes also landed on my diamond-less ring on my left hand and disappointed turned to confused.)
Cindy was very helpful.
Next I went to the library and asked for help from a friendly, male, librarian, about my age. Single perhaps?
"Hi! Can I help you find something?"
"Yes, I'm looking for books on weddings."
"Okay. There." He vaguely pointed in the direction of the escalator that leads to five massive floors. I figured I could find them myself. Liberated woman, right?
After I found a healthy stack of white and pink wedding books, I got caught in the "COMPUTER QUIET ZONE!!!!!!!" on a computer between two men. To the left is a man, in his fifties, who can't shut-up. To my right, a man about my age thoroughly enjoying loud, crunchy chips that smell like bacon.
"MMM! Those look good!"
(silence)
"Are they bacon flavored?"
He takes another, CRUNCH!, and places the bag on the other side of his keyboard. Apparently he regards the QUIET ZONE!!!!!!! seriously.
"You're sure a purty girl! I can't concentrate on my typing! And it mustn't be your wedding cause you don't have the rock to go with it! But if I was your age. Whew! I'd be a flirtin' with ya! Yes ma'am."
I blushed. Small smile.
"That's a sure purty smile. You must have a lot of boys a chasin' ya!"
"Actually, no, I don't."
"I wonder--"
CRUNCH! Guy to the right is smirking.
"I wonder why th--"
CRUNCH!CRUNCH!
"I wonder why that there is?"
Me too.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'd like to order some humor, Lauralee-style. That blog was only a taste of the funniness that is you. AYSM?
Ha ha ha! Sorry, I think...?
So the guys in their 50s notice there's no diamond, but the younger ones aren't as observant.
delightful. disheartening situations, of course, but delightful writing!
oh dearie...gotta love the crunch.
Post a Comment