Saturday, August 2, 2008

Lost in Translation

Friday's are bagle days at the place where I work. It means a delicious assortment of Panera bagles coupled with an equally delicious array of cream cheeses. I went to the break room at noon to grab one for lunch. The Algerian IT guy, "Sem" was there enjoying lunch with his equally foreigner friend.

"Ahhh, Lauralee! This your last day here?", Sem asked.
"No, Monday is. I'll be working here Monday afteroon yet."
"Ahhh, so Monday your last day?"
"Yes." I grabbed a napkin and picked out a cinnamon crunch bagle then went to check the cream cheeses.
Sem nodded and continued to eat his lunch.
"You look like you've gained weight." He motioned his hands around his face, like that's where my noticeable weight gain was, and smiled.
I didn't know how to respond. So I laughed. "Sem!! You don't say that!"
"Well, yeah, it's true, yeah? You've gained weight?"
I couldn't believe he didn't get the first hint. His foreigner friend gave me a toothy grin and ate a french fry while Sem enjoyed a bite of his Mexican cuisine. So many cultures present, I wondered if my Canadian/American/Dutch-ism was why I was so offended! Surely this must be an appropriate comment in every other place on earth!?
I shook my head, waved goodbye and headed back to my cubicle and American friends.

"You'll never guess what Sem, the IT guy, said to me!"
"What?" The three female coworkers looked up at me expectantly.
"It looks like you've gained weight."
"Uh-uh!"
"You're kidding."
"That's unbelievable! Why would he, or anyone ever say that!?"
I shook my head. "I have no idea!"
"I would have cried."
"What did you say!?"
And my favorite response:
"Want a slice of pizza?"

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Glad someone still posts! Good to hear from you and HAPPY AUGUST!!
. . . and don't even get me started on awkward conversations with people we don't know! Ahh! :) I hear ya.
Miss ya,
Nicole

Rachel:) said...

Lauralee, I stubbled upon your blog and i just wanted to say two things: one you are a very creative writer and i LOVE your stories. Two, i am very sad, becuase last week i was in Indianapolis and did not know you were there, so i didnt vist you. that made me sad! i will make you a regular vist from here on out!:)

Jihad Hernandez said...

oh, freshman year, when lack of glasses and the iowa wind and a large t-shirt made me not recognize Karissa. Then that led to the subsequent insult we would trade back and forth the next three years of "You're so FAT I didn't RECOGNIZE you!"