Inspired by it's brochure that promised relaxation techniques at an affordable price, I signed up for my first-ever yoga class. A friend from church decided to join too and we attended the first session together. It went a little differently than I envisioned.
We arrived early and prepped in the bathroom. I overheard a woman in the next stall chatting excitedly on her cell phone:
"I'm starting yoga today. Yup, I'm all ready and dressed. This is gonna be fun!"
"Really? That's great."
"Yup. It starts real soon and I am ready!"
"Okay, well you have a good time."
"Oh, I will. Yoga, here I come!"
It was then that I realized that it must be two women in the stall, as I was hearing both sides of the coversation. I shrugged my shoulders and headed to the sinks. The stall door opened and "Jacquelyn" exited--alone.
By the time we were all seated cross-legged on our mats, I knew that Jacquelyn would most likely be the opposite of anyone you would expect to find (hmm, or want) in a yoga class. During introductions hers went something like this:
"Hi! I'm Jacquelyn! This is my first yoga class and I'm crazy. Well, no I'm not really crazy. HA! Yes, I am crazy! This is our first yoga. Hahahaaa!" I smiled politely and uncrossed my cramping legs. Our instructor,Leslie, began the lesson:
"Okay! Our first lesson is to breathe. Deeeeeeep breathes. Feel it?"
"Yup! Oh I feel it! That's great! Oh yah! I feeeeel it" Jacquelyn shouted.
"Now, relax. Bend."
The soothing voice of Leslie was interrupted by Jacquelyn's energetic one.
"Oh I'm bending! WOOOO!"
We changed to another position. Leslie explained:
"Okay, next we're going to do Downward Facing Dog."
We didn't have to wait long for Jacquelyn to comment.
"Dog? Like D-O-G? Like the animal?" She barked. "Hahaha! Sorry about that! I meow too. MEEOUW!"
Pure surprise that she had just made animal sounds kept me from yelling at her. My first yoga class was turning into a test of patience! I guess there is an element of will-power in that. Lucky for us, Jacquelyn loooooved the class and would be sure to come next week. Yes, lucky us.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
So...how was your chi after that class?
Did you loooove the class too?
Post a Comment