Canada is, according to the Indiana BMV, a state?
Yup. I just got back from trying to obtain an Indiana driver’s license.
“Is Canada one of the 50 states?” my case worker asked her co-worker.
“I don’t think so… or, is it?”
They turned to me and asked again.
“Is Canada one of the 50 states?”
Without smiling, laughing (or screaming), I replied with a gentle, yet firm, “No.”
“Then how do you have a driver’s license and American passport? …And a social security number?”
“I’m an American.”
Immediately my mind turned to how I could write this into a creative blog. What would it be titled?
Canada: the Largest State
Americans and Canadians Unite in Indiana
The Fifty-First State
I wish now I had said that Canada was a state. “Yes, as a matter of fact it is the 54th state: after Sweden, China and Russia. Oh, and would you like Australia as well?” Too bad I didn’t think of it earlier. If I had, I’d be holding an Indiana’s driver’s license.
And why don’t I possess one yet? Since Canada isn’t a state, I’m from “out of country” and will need to take a written and driving test. Luckily I passed the first.
And then they were going to give me a learner's permit for 60 days before I would be eligible for a license. No joke.
"Aren't there rules about that? Like when or with whom I can drive?" I asked.
"Well, you would just have to drive with someone who already has an Indiana driver's license."
"I live alone."
"I could issue you the learner's and then if you're stopped you could try to explain it to the officer."
"You're kidding me, right?"
"Since you're from "out of country", it's the only way it will work."
"But I'm from Canada."
I figured it was no use. I asked if there was someone else she could ask.
First manager:
"Nope, that's the only way it will work. Learner's permit and then a driving test."
I asked for another opinion.
Second manager:
"Ahhh, nooooo. Oh wait! You'd only need to hold the permit for 30 days and then you could get the license!"
I shook my head. At least I was getting closer!
And Third manager:
"I am so sorry. I apologize. I am so sorry about that. Of course you can get a license! All you'll need to do is take a driving test and then you can get your license. I am so sorry!Really. I am so sorry about that!"
I thanked her and shook my head as I left. I'm glad everyone is on the same page. Now hopefully my Canadian car doesn’t pose too many problems for the driving test. Thanks, Indiana BMV.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
*Sigh*. Somewhere between graduating and the present I forgot how insanely ignorant so many people South of the border are when it comes to their next-door neighboUrs. Argh. I forget no longer!! That's absolute craziness!!
Post a Comment